I’m fat. I overeat. I’m on a slippery slope to an early grave and years of poor health. I’m a foodaholic.
There I said it.
I’ve spent the last week or so mulling over my options, they are:
1) Do nothing, kid myself I’m happy and just carry on with the bad back, dodgy knees, growing waistline and shrinking clothes.
2) Go back on WeightWatchers. I did this before, back in 2004 and managed to lose 3.5 stone in under a year but have put it all back on and more since then. It was a long and hard slog.
3) Investigate other ways of losing weight
4) Do nothing but start exercising like mad and hope for the best
5) Change my life for the better
There are other things I can do but these are the main areas.
Why do I want to do it:
1) health – I want to be able to run around with the kids, not struggle getting up from the sofa, stop worrying about breaking the spinning bikes
2) not be too heavy for lots of social things (rides, flumes, WiiFit etc)
3) not be embarrassed about my body, not feel I have to wear baggy t-shirts, not be afraid to go swimming in a public pool.
4) feel good about myself for once
5) look good
I know what I need to do but knowing and doing are two very different things. Like all addicts, common sense goes out the window when faced with your foe. Going public is my first step, I’m kinda hoping self humiliation is a good motivator, we’ll see.
The embarassing stats:
After WeightWatchers I went from 23stone down to 19st 7lbs, a 3.5st loss. A good loss, but it’s all come back because I didn’t change my lifestyle.
Current weight: 23st 7lb, or 329lbs
Height: 6ft 8in
What should I be?
Well according to pretty much everyone, my “healthy” BMI should be between 20-25. For me to get a BMI of 25, the upper figure, would mean I should weigh no more that 16st 7lbs. That’s a massive 7st to lose.
To get to a “healthy” BMI means I would have to lose:
I read somewhere that 1lb of fat is equivalent to 3,500 calories so that’s 343,000 calories
Realistically I’m not sure 16.5st is a sensible weight for someone of my height and build, I’d look like a beanpole. If I turned sideways and stuck out my tongue, I’d look like a zipper. However, 17st or 17.5st probably is not too far off. I’d also make sure to start to tone my upper body this time.
The important thing to do now is not make any rash decisions but to get some expert advice. I’m seeing someone on Saturday and I’m seeing my Doctor on the 2nd of July.
I’m also limiting the number of people I talk to about it as it seems that when it comes to weight loss, EVERYONE’S an expert.