Sunday, October 03, 2004

Getting Old

Went out with some friends on Friday night to see a band called Hard To Handle at a pub in Crowborough. Took an hour and a half to get there and first impressions let me to think the pub was a bit of a dive. I was looking for the sawdust and the spitoon.

The band however was excellent with a repetoire of classic rock tracks including Gimme all your lovin', Smoke on the water, Hey Joe and an excellent version of I believe in a thing called love, by The Darkness. As I wasn't driving, I took the opportunity to have a few beers. Unfortunately I didn't get chance to eat. Now I'm not a great car passenger at the best of times but after 4 pints and no food it took all of 5 minutes in the car for me to feel a little rough.

The thought of a 90 minute car journey made me feel even worse. Five stops later and after some close encounters with the hedgerows I got home at about 1.30am. I though I was OK and went to the kitchen to get a pint of water (a guaranteed hangover cure). As I was filling the glass I started feeling ill again and thought I was going to be sick again. Next thing I remember is lying on the floor with debris from the sink still clattering around me. I had blacked out, but only for a few seconds.

It was enough to give me a scare. I sat there on the floor for a good few minutes trying to get my bearings. I was quite lucky that all I did was give myself a hell of a dead arm and a slight bang to my jaw. We've all been there but it made me realise I don't enjoy drinking anymore. I can have a good time without alcohol. I'm going teetotal. This isn't a kneejerk reaction, I won't miss it as I hardly drink anyway.

Went for a bike ride this morning and that certainly blew away the cobwebs. Managed a very wet and muddy 20 miles along the Basingstoke canal and then back home along the main rode. I was also pleased as I made it up a really steep hill without stopping. The hill climbs over 100m in just a mile and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment